Wednesday 15 November 2017

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena : Book Review


Title  :  The Couple Next Door

Author  :  Shari Lapena

Format  :  Hardback

Length  :  204 Pages

Rating  :  ★ ★ ★ ★

Your neighbour told you that she didn't want your six-month-old daughter at the dinner party. Nothing personal, she just couldn't stand her crying.


Your husband said it would be fine. After all, you only live next door. You'll have the baby monitor and you'll take it in turns to go back every half hour.


Your daughter was sleeping when you checked on her last. But now, as you race up the stairs in your deathly quiet house, your worst fears are realized. She's gone.


You've never had to call the police before. But now they're in your home, and who knows what they'll find there.



I'm a sucker for a good mystery/thriller story and this was so good. I was so close to give it a 5 star rating but I just couldn't.

I love the writing within this book. It so strange how I always say I'm not a fan of thrid erson however lately every time I read a book in third person I've been loving them. Maybe it's me growing into a different reading phase, or me just growing older and liking new things, who knows?

I loved the different characters within this book and how third dimensional the whole situation and the characters felt to me. I will say the story did start lagging a little half way and I felt like there was a whole lot of nothing happening at one point but I guess it's the whole suspense to build you up to the final few chapters. 

I will say this is one book I didn't actually guess what was going to happen. I can see where it all adds up now from reading it and I knew from the start the one particular part but the rest blew my mind. I loved that it did that because I find it so hard to pick up books that don't have a predictable ending. 

Overall this book was great, really really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment